Armed Forces, Economy, Foreign Policy, National Security, Internal Environment

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Farewell – My Countrymen

Farewell my countrymen, may you ever prosper.
Am so grateful for your prayers, though in vain;
But do not despair;
Am much better off in my new domain.

Better to go in a blaze of glory, serving the Motherland;
Than end up a vegetable; a burden on all.
Nor did I fancy retiring, with struggles galore,
Seeing the woeful plight of veterans,
Agitating valiantly for our rights and honour.

Grateful too for the PM’s gracious visit,
Despite his onerous chores.
Regret couldn’t stand up and salute,
And apologize for the blushes caused,
In surviving his tributes to us - the fallen.

Those who told him, ‘there is no hope’,
Should have known better.
Comrades would dig even with bare hands
Till the last remains are found.
I humbly urge the powers that be, follow the Global norm,
Don’t sound “the last post” till one is actually gone.

Soldiers yearn for decorations and gallantry awards,
Fills them and their ‘paltan’ with pride.
And if one has to go,
What better way than draped in Tricolour.

Having received immense love and adulation,
There’s nothing more I can ask for.
My only regret is, had I known what awaits me,
Would’ve bid my family a more befitting farewell.  

Where I am, I’m beyond needs or pain.
But not so with the dear ones I leave behind.
I request that their dues be promptly paid,
Whatever little our poor country can afford.

My wife is a simple, uneducated village lady,
Who knows not the intricacies of Babudom.
My daughter, too young to comprehend what’s happened,
Will cry out when with hunger she’s overcome.
Please be aware their pain will torment me, 
Regardless, wherever I am.

I urge you therefore, my dear countrymen,
Do not let an insensitive and uncaring system
Compound the miseries of the kin of martyrs,
That regularly turn up in flag-draped coffins.

2 comments:

  1. Deepak, what a fine piece! I have told you earlier too that literary pursuits are your forte and you must exploit this talent. OPERATION JANTAR MANTAR was great and lets see more of such works from your pen/keyboard!! With hope that you listen to an old friend, Bimbo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Kuldip - it means a lot to me. I have always valued your opinions. I am sure you would recall the time when I was editing the Artillery Journal and your valuable inputs at Arjun Vihar had helped me a lot. At present I am concentrating on this blog, even as ideas about the next book project are constantly churning in my mind. I will call you soon to bounce a few ideas for your thoughts. Meanwhile please keep posting your comments on this Blog.

      Delete

Thanks for posting your comments